Homestyle Skillet Chicken
Makes 4 servings
|1||tablespoon Cajun seasoning|
|1/2||teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided|
|1/2||teaspoon salt, divided|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|8||small red or new potatoes, quartered|
|12||pearl onions, peeled*|
|1||cup baby carrots|
|2||stalks celery, halved lengthwise and sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1/2||red bell pepper, diced|
|2||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1||cup reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley|
*To peel pearl onions, drop into boiling water for 30 seconds, then plunge immediately into ice water. The peel should slide right off.
- Combine Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Rub mixture onto all sides of chicken.
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chicken; cook until chicken is browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate; set aside.
- Add potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and bell pepper to skillet. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables; stir to coat. Slowly stir in chicken broth and sherry, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and cook about 30 minutes or until juices of chicken run clear. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
|Serving Size:||1 chicken thigh with 1/4 of vegetable mixture|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Calories from Fat||48 %|
Check out more recipes for Chicken