How to Prepare Avocado
by Americans for their use in guacamole.
They have a rich, butter-like texture and a
mild, almost nutty flavor.
- Place avocado on cutting board. Insert knife into stem end; slice into halves lengthwise to the pit, turning avocado while slicing.
Turn the avocado around the knife,
thereby slicing it in half.
- Remove knife blade; twist both halves to pull apart.
Twist the halves of the avocado
and pull them apart.
- Press knife blade into pit; twist knife to pull pit free from avocado.
Lodge the knife blade inside the
avocado pit and pull it free.
- Sprinkle avocado with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- For slices, cut avocado halves lengthwise on cutting board. Starting at stem end, carefully peel skin away from each avocado piece. Slice to desired size.
- If you will be mashing the avocado, perhaps for guacamole, there's no need to be so precise. Simply scoop avocado meat out of skin using a large spoon.
Now that you know how to prepare your favorite fruits, you're ready to use them in all kinds of recipes, from main entrees to desserts.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.
- Fruit Trees: Discover the wide variety of fruit trees and where they typically grow on our Fruit Trees page.