Italian Eggplant with Millet and Pepper Stuffing
YIELD Makes 4 servings
|1/4||cup uncooked millet|
|1/4||cup chopped red bell pepper, divided|
|1/4||cup chopped green bell pepper, divided|
|2||small eggplants (about 3/4 pound total)|
|1||teaspoon olive oil|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1‑1/2||cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/2||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1/8||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
- Cook and stir millet in large heavy skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into halves. Scoop out flesh, leaving about 1/4-inch-thick shell. Reserve shells; chop eggplant flesh. Combine 1 teaspoon red bell pepper and 1 teaspoon green bell pepper in small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add chopped eggplant, remaining red and green bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir about 8 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Stir in toasted millet, chicken broth, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, 35 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed and millet is tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour 1 cup water into 8-inch square baking pan.
- Fill reserved eggplant shells with eggplant-millet mixture. Sprinkle shells with reserved chopped bell peppers, pressing in lightly. Carefully place filled shells in prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.
This recipe appears in: Stuffing
|Serving Size:||1/2 eggplant with stuffing|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Calories from Fat||18 %|