Koftas (Lamb Meatballs in Spicy Gravy) the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Koftas (Lamb Meatballs in Spicy Gravy)
Makes 6 servings
|2||teaspoons Garam Masala|
|1-1/2||pounds ground lamb or ground beef round|
|1-1/2||cups finely chopped onions, divided|
|1/2||cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|1-1/2||teaspoons salt, divided|
|24||whole blanched almonds|
|1||tablespoon peanut oil|
|1||teaspoon ground coriander|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1||teaspoon chili powder|
|2||tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|1||cup plain yogurt|
- Prepare Garam Masala. Place 2 teaspoons in medium bowl. Add lamb, eggs, 1/2 cup onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Shape mixture into 24 ovals or balls; insert 1 almond into each meatball. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs; cook 8 minutes or until brown, turning frequently. Remove meatballs from skillet. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 cup onion. Cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, cumin, chili powder and turmeric. Add tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
- Add water; bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Add meatballs. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Remove meatballs from skillet to serving platter; keep warm.
- Remove skillet from heat; place yogurt in small bowl. Stir in several spoonfuls hot mixture. Stir yogurt mixture into sauce in skillet. Cook over medium-low heat until sauce thickens. Do not boil. Pour sauce over meatballs. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Middle Eastern