Makes 6 to 8 servings
|1||large onion, chopped|
|3||tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|1||teaspoon black pepper|
|3||pounds boneless lamb for stew, cut into 2- to 2-1/2-inch pieces|
|2||tablespoons sugar, divided|
|3||cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth|
|3||tablespoons tomato paste|
|4||cloves garlic, chopped|
|1||tablespoon dried thyme|
|1||tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary|
|1||pound carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks|
|1||pound petite Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut in half|
|1||package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed|
- Cook and stir onion in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in large skillet over medium heat until golden. Add to slow cooker.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in large bowl. Dredge lamb in flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of lamb; cook until browned on all sides. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; mix well to coat meat. Cook several minutes until meat is caramelized. Add meat to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining lamb, using remaining 1-1/2 tablespoons oil as needed and remaining tablespoon sugar.
- Add broth to skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat, scraping sides and bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Add tomato paste, garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Mix well. Pour over meat mixture. Cover; cook on LOW 4 hours or on HIGH 2 hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Cover; cook 3 to 4 hours on LOW or 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours on HIGH or until vegetables and lamb are tender.
- Add peas. Cook 30 minutes more. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Check out more recipes for Stews