YIELD Serves 12
My husband is currently studying for his law school exams and is stressed to the maximum. And as I seriously see him never, I decided I would make his study group some lovely baked goods. But of course I wanted their snacks to be a little healthier because I don't want them to hit a sugar high and then crash in the middle of studying. But at the same time I don't want my baked goods to taste like cardboard so that his friends think I'm an inept baker. I like the idea of the cumin scented spoon bread because topped with a dollop of organic cream cheese the flavor balanced out nicely. I used 1 tsp of cumin in this and the flavor was potent so plan accordingly. The sweet potato puree is just used to add moisture and nutrients and doesn't add that much of a flavor. Also, when you're baking the spoon bread make sure not to over-bake because if you do it dries out a bit and doesn't have near the moist texture.
|3/4 cup||organic whole wheat flour|
|3/4 cup||all purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda|
|1/2 tsp||baking powder|
|1 tsp||pumpkin pie spice|
|1/2 cup||organic sugar|
|3/4 cup||organic brown rice syrup|
|1/2 cup||vegetable oil|
|1/2 cup||organic sweet potato puree|
- Sift the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cumin, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Slowly beat the eggs, sugar, and brown rice syrup together for about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in oil, sweet potato, and vanilla.
- Add in flour and be sure not to over beat the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.