Marinated Vegetable Salad
Makes 6 servings
|3||tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar|
|2||tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|6||tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|2||ripe medium tomatoes|
|1/3||cup pitted green olives|
|1/3||cup Italian- or Greek-style black olives|
|1||head leaf or red leaf lettuce|
|1||small head curly endive|
|2||heads Belgian endive|
- For dressing, place vinegar, basil, salt, pepper and sugar in blender or food processor. With motor running, add oil in slow steady stream until oil is thoroughly blended.
- Cut tomatoes into wedges. Combine tomatoes and green and black olives in medium bowl. Add dressing; toss lightly. Cover and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse leaf lettuce and curly endive; drain well. Refrigerate greens until ready to assemble salad. Core Belgian endive and separate leaves; rinse and drain well.
- To serve, layer leaf lettuce, curly endive and Belgian endive leaves in large, shallow serving bowl.
- Remove tomatoes and olives with slotted spoon and place on top of greens. Spoon remaining dressing over salad. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 30 minutes.
Check out more recipes for Italian