Miss Maryland, Brooke Catherine Poklemba, submitted this recipe for Steamed Crabs.
|2||cups (or more) Water|
|1||cup Old Bay Seasoning|
|3/4||cup rock salt (optional)|
|2||dozen Live Maryland Blue Crabs|
- Crabs must be alive! Discard any dead crabs. Make sure they have been kept on ice and are no older than a few hours.
- Use largest pot you can find that has a raised rack (like a canning pot). Raised rack should be minimum 2” high (can use metal rack or homemade wooden planks).
- Add equal quantities water/beer mixture with the vinegar to just below the level of the rack.
- Using large tongs and wearing heavy pot holder gloves, layer LIVE crabs into pots; sprinkle each layer with OLD BAY and Rock Salt to taste. Keep the pot lid handy and work fast to keep crabs in pot.
- Cover & steam until crabs turn red (approx 30 min).
- Cover table with brown paper or old news papers and supply your guests with wooden crab hammers, knives and a roll of paper towels!
- Drop hot steamed crabs in middle of table for all to share and enjoy!
This recipe appears in: Northeastern