YIELD Makes 6 servings
|Masaman Curry Paste (recipe) or jarred Masaman curry paste to taste|
|4||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1||medium onion, cut into strips|
|1‑1/2||pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes or beef for stew|
|2||cans (about 14 ounces each) unsweetened coconut milk|
|3||tablespoons fish sauce|
|2||pounds boiling potatoes|
|1||large red bell pepper, cut into strips|
|1/2||cup roasted peanuts, chopped|
|2||tablespoons lime juice|
|1/4||cup slivered fresh basil leaves or chopped fresh cilantro|
|Hot cooked rice or noodles|
- Prepare Masaman Curry Paste; set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces. Place in bowl with cold water to cover; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; stir-fry 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Transfer onion to bowl with slotted spoon.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok. Increase heat to high. Add half the beef; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Transfer beef to another bowl; set aside. Repeat with remaining beef, adding 1 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and curry paste to wok; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until very fragrant. Add coconut milk and fish sauce; stir to scrape bits of cooked meat and spices from bottom of wok.
- Return beef to wok. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and return onion to wok. Cook 20 to 30 minutes more or until meat and potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in bell pepper; cook until heated through.
- Stir in peanuts and lime juice; sprinkle with basil. Serve with rice or noodles.
You need more than a wok and oil to cook proper Chinese cuisine. Read these articles and learn which ingredients you'll need to prepare authentic Chinese cuisine.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.