YIELD Makes 6 servings
|Masaman Curry Paste (recipe) or jarred Masaman curry paste to taste|
|4||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1||medium onion, cut into strips|
|1‑1/2||pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes or beef for stew|
|2||cans (about 14 ounces each) unsweetened coconut milk|
|3||tablespoons fish sauce|
|2||pounds boiling potatoes|
|1||large red bell pepper, cut into strips|
|1/2||cup roasted peanuts, chopped|
|2||tablespoons lime juice|
|1/4||cup slivered fresh basil leaves or chopped fresh cilantro|
|Hot cooked rice or noodles|
- Prepare Masaman Curry Paste; set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces. Place in bowl with cold water to cover; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; stir-fry 6 to 8 minutes or until golden. Transfer onion to bowl with slotted spoon.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok. Increase heat to high. Add half the beef; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Transfer beef to another bowl; set aside. Repeat with remaining beef, adding 1 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and curry paste to wok; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until very fragrant. Add coconut milk and fish sauce; stir to scrape bits of cooked meat and spices from bottom of wok.
- Return beef to wok. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and return onion to wok. Cook 20 to 30 minutes more or until meat and potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in bell pepper; cook until heated through.
- Stir in peanuts and lime juice; sprinkle with basil. Serve with rice or noodles.
You Might Also Like
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.
You need more than a wok and oil to cook proper Chinese cuisine. Read these articles and learn which ingredients you'll need to prepare authentic Chinese cuisine.