Yield: 6 servings
This one is an obvious breakfast choice, but it would do just as well for brunch or breakfast-for-dinner. The ingredients are reasonably priced, and most of them will live to see another meal. It's a healthy casserole and, since it relies on frozen hash browns and pre-cooked ham, an especially quick and easy option.
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash-brown potatoes
- 11/2 cups (6 ounces) finely chopped extra-lean ham
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cholesterol-free egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly coat 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer potatoes, ham, cheese and onions in dish. Gradually whisk milk into flour in small bowl. Stir in egg substitute and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, 55 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.
(For nutritional information, see TLC Cooking.)
Next: an innovative cooking vessel ...