Yield: 6 servings
Ground meat combined with a hearty starch has been used to stretch protein sources since the beginning of time. Or at least the beginning of the casserole. In this Italian-style meal, ground beef or ground turkey mix with penne pasta and cheese for a filling dinner that does just as well (or even better) for lunch the next day.
- 1 pound ground sirloin beef or ground turkey
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 cups = 12 oz)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano, un-drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 large = about 1 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta, uncooked (12 oz = 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Brown meat with onions in large skillet; drain. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, the tomato paste and water; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Spray 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Drain pasta; place in large bowl. Add tomato mixture and 2 cups of the cheese; toss to coat. Spoon into prepared dish; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted.
(For nutritional information, see TLC Cooking.)
Next, a quick-cooking casserole ...