Sometimes we're so focused on clipping coupons and buying things on sale that we don't pay attention to whether or not something is healthy. Sure, you can take advantage of the "four cans for a dollar" special. But do you really want your family eating sodium-rich, canned food filled with preservatives every night?
If you want healthy meals, you'll need to shop the perimeter of the grocery store, where you'll find the freshest produce, dairy, bread and meat. Processed food is found in the middle of the store, and usually at your child's eye level. Sure, you'll need a few staples from the middle aisles, but the majority of what you buy should come from the perimeter.
- Throw It In a Salad! 5 Salad Recipes That Save You Money
- Chill Out! Frozen Foods Quiz
- Macaroni, Cheese and Pennies: Can You Make a Healthy Dinner on a Budget?
- Cheese, Meat and Cream of What Soup?: The Ultimate Casserole Quiz
- From Pricy Fungi to Japanese Beef: The Ridiculously Expensive Ingredients Quiz
That said, what can you cook from ingredients found on the perimeter of the store? We've outlined 10 meal ideas that require few ingredients.