While most people probably won't have leftover pumpkin pie for long, to add a flavor kick to this dessert, Megan Ketover C.P.C, pastry chef/adjunct professor at Bakery Hill at Midwest Culinary Institute in Cincinnati and a member of the American Culinary Federation, recommends a Bourbon Whiskey Caramel Sauce with Toasted Pecans [source: Ketover].
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan over medium heat, until sugar dissolves.
- Brush down sides of saucepan with pastry brush dipped in water to push down any undissolved sugar crystals.
- Cook sauce until it turns a golden-amber color.
- Stir in heavy cream. (The sauce will bubble up in the pan.)
- After cream absorbs into sauce, remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla, salt, bourbon whiskey and cinnamon.
- Drizzle warm sauce over the pie. Top with toasted pecans.