Gingerbread creations of all shapes and sizes can be found decking the halls around the holidays. Here is a recipe for delicious gingerbread that can be made into cookies or even a festive gingerbread house.
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius)
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, shortening and corn syrup and heat on medium. Stir constantly until shortening is melted completely.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and then pour in the sugar mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are blended. The dough should have a crumbly texture, but still hold together.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough until it's about 1/8" thick.
- Cut out cookies with cutters of your desired shapes, and place on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Decorate and eat.