Figgy pudding is such a holiday dessert staple that it has its own verse in a popular Christmas carol. Despite its name, figgy pudding is actually more of a creamy cake. And once you try it, we guarantee you won't go until you get some.
- 2 cups mission figs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups brandy
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (163 degrees Celsius) and grease a 9-inch tube pan.
- Using a hand mixer, beat butter until it's soft, then add the eggs and molasses and beat until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add chopped figs, grated lemon rind and buttermilk.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients in a different mixing bowl, then pour into fig mixture and stir until everything is combined.
- Pour into pan and cook for about 1 hour. Toothpick inserted in middle should come out clean.
- Let cake cook for 15 minutes, then finish cooling on a baking rack.
- Cut a strip of cheesecloth that's big enough to wrap around the cake twice. Soak it in the brandy.
- Once cake is completely cool, wrap it in the cheesecloth and let it soak for 24 hours.
- Serve and enjoy.