Traditional fruitcake is loaded with sugar, which adds up to empty calories. Even the nuts and fruits are traditionally candied or jellied. Here's a recipe using fresh fruits and nectar that cuts the fat, but not the flavor.
- 2 3/4 cups mixed fruit
- 1 cup fruit nectar
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 cup mashed pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tsp. mixed spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda, zest of lemon and orange.
- Combine nectar, fruit and honey in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool and stir in pumpkin, sifted flour, spices and soda zests.
- Spread mixture into loaf tin, and bake for approximately 1 hour at 356 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Remove from oven and cover with foil until cool.