Christmas Fruitcake Cookies
Who says fruitcake has to be cake? These cookies have a fruitcake base and can be decorated like traditional holiday cookies.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1/2 lb candied cherries, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb candied pineapples, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb golden raisins
- 1 quart shelled pecans, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in hot water
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar; beat in egg yolks.
- Sprinkle the rum over the fruits. Chopping the fruits and nuts is made easier with a food processor, or simply mound them together and sprinkle with a little of the flour to make chopping easier.
- Stir the remaining flour together with the spices and salt to mix evenly. Then add remaining ingredients (except for the egg whites).
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter. Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet brushed with Crisco or vegetable oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius) for 10 to 15 minutes.