SERVES 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 minutes per batch
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia
- 4 cups peanut oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Coarse salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- Peel the onions and slice them crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Separate each slice into individual rings.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed medium stockpot or Dutch-oven, or in a deep fryer, to 350 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, pour the buttermilk into a large bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add onions to the buttermilk mixture and stir to coat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, dredge some of the onion rings in the flour mixture and tap off the excess. Gently drop onions in oil to fry the rings, turning once or twice, until golden brown and tender, about 4 minutes.
- Remove with a mesh skimmer and transfer to plates lined with paper towel. Serve hot.
To see more recipes from this season, check out Kitchen Boss Recipes Season 2.