SERVES about 2 dozen churros
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
For the Churros:
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Large pinch cayenne
For the chocolate sauce:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder or cayenne
- ¼ ground cinnamon
For the Churros:
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, butter, brown sugar, and salt. Place pan over medium heat and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Turn off heat and add eggs one at a time, beating well with a spoon until the egg is fully incorporated. Then add vanilla.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and cayenne.
- When oil is ready, pipe 4" logs of dough into the hot oil (you may need to twist the pastry bag to get the dough to release, or use a sharp paring knife or scissors to cut free), a few at a time for about 2 minutes or until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Return oil to 375 degrees before adding next batch of dough.
- Sprinkle hot Churros with cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat. Serve warm with chocolate sauce for dipping.
Tip: Keep churros warm while you fry them in batches by placing them in a 250-degree oven until ready to serve
To make the Chocolate Sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream and sugar over low heat, stir until sugar is dissolved, add a pinch of salt. Add chocolate and butter and stir constantly until both are melted and combined. Stir in vanilla, chili powder and cinnamon and remove from heat. Pour into a serving bowl and serve warm.
To see more recipes from this season, check out Kitchen Boss Recipes Season 2.