Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for bread
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium bulb fennel, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped, plus 1 clove for bread
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium sea robins, gutted and roughly chopped
- 1-28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more chopped, for serving
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 loaf country-style bread, sliced 1/2-inch-thick
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or a large saucepan, heat olive over medium-high heat. Add onions, fennel, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and tomato paste; season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes then add the sea robins. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and enough water to cover completely. Bring to a simmer and cook slowly for 2 hours.
- Strain soup, discarding solids. Return to Dutch-oven on medium-high heat, and add orzo. Cook, stirring occasionally, until orzo is heated through.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle bread lightly with olive oil on both sides. Grill bread, turning once, until toasted. Remove from grill and rub one side with garlic clove.
- Transfer soup to bowls and garnish with grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately with garlic toasts.
To see more recipes from this season, check out Kitchen Boss Recipes Season 2.