Prep Time: 45 minutes, including resting time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
For the steak:
- Zest from 2 limes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (more depending on taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/4 pounds skirt or flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Fresh Tomato Salsa, recipe follows
- 12 flour tortillas, warm
- Sour cream, optional
- Hot sauce, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, garlic, cumin, cayenne and salt. Stir in oil to make a paste. Rub steak with paste and place in a baking dish. Let sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Oil the grill pan if needed. Grill the steak for 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let sit.
- Toss the peppers and onions with the tablespoon of canola oil and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add to the grill and cook for about 3-5 minutes, turning a few times during cooking, until the vegetables are softened.
- When steak has rested, about 5 minutes, thinly slice it against the grain on a diagonal.
- Serve steak and cooked vegetables with warm tortillas, sliced jalapeno, sliced avocado, cilantro and salsa. Also serve with sour cream and hot sauce, if using.
To see more recipes from this season, check out Kitchen Boss Recipes Season 2.