YIELD Makes 4 servings
Mogul refers to the Mongols who invaded India over four hundred years ago. Their luxurious lifestyle brought rich cooking, including ghee or clarified butter.
|1||teaspoon Garam Masala, divided (recipe)|
|1/2||cup unsalted butter|
|3||cloves garlic, minced, divided|
|2||teaspoons minced fresh ginger|
|1/2||teaspoon turmeric, divided|
|1/2||teaspoon salt, divided|
|4||boneless skinless chicken breast halves or thighs (1 pound), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness|
|1/2||cup chopped onion|
|2||tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut*|
|3/4||cup plain yogurt|
|1/4||cup whipping cream|
- Prepare Garam Masala. Set aside.
- To prepare clarified butter or ghee, melt butter in small skillet over low heat. Remove from heat. Skim off and discard white foam that forms on top. Skim off clear clarified butter and reserve. Discard white milk solids.
- Blend egg, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, 1-1/2 teaspoons ginger, 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon salt in shallow bowl. Dip chicken in mixture; turn to coat.
- Heat clarified butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- To prepare sauce, pour off all but 2 tablespoons clarified butter from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add coconut, remaining garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir 30 seconds.
- Remove skillet from heat. Place yogurt in small bowl. Stir in several spoonfuls hot mixture. Stir yogurt mixture into sauce.
- Add chicken; turn to coat. Heat over low heat until heated through. Remove chicken to serving dish. Stir cream into sauce. Do not boil. Spoon sauce over chicken.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.
Learn how to make authentic Southwestern foods by following our easy-to-cook recipes that will help to spice up your next meal.