YIELD Serves 8
When I was little, I found stuffing difficultto get down without a gag reflex. Not sure why, but around age 16 that all changed. They say that your tastes change about every seven years, well, who knows, but this taste certainly did. I find myself every Thanksgiving eating the stuffing leftovers first. While Thanksgiving is coming right up and this sustainable recipe is certainly a perfect fit for that, it can also be used year round. Try and use local and organic ingredients to reduce food miles and control the amount of pesticides that you're ingesting.
Here's my mother's famous cornbread stuffing recipe:
|1/3 cup||golden raisins|
|1 1/2 cups||organic apple juice|
|1/2 cup||unsalted local butter|
|1 large||local onion, finely diced|
|4 stalks||local celery, finely diced|
|2 cups||local Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped|
|5 to 6 cups||cornbread, cubed and air-dried for two days (recipe to follow)|
|*1 cup||organic chicken stock|
|1/4 cup||flat-leaf parsley, chopped|
|1 tbsp||fresh thyme, chopped|
|1 tbsp||fresh sage, chopped|
|Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper|
|Sour Cream Cornbread:|
|2 boxes||Jiffy cornbread mix (While not gourmet, in a pinch, it's helpful.)|
|2 cups||organic sour cream|
|1 stick||local butter|
|2 tbsps||canola oil|
|6||local, free range eggs|
|2‑8 oz||cans organic creamed corn|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and soften raisins in 1/2 cup apple juice. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet melt butter and add onion and celery. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add apples, raisins with the 1/2 cup of apple juice, cornbread, stock, parsley, thyme, and sage.
- Gradually add the remaining apple juice. Stir until the cornbread is moistened. Add more apple juice if necessary. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon lightly into a greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees, until thoroughly heated, about 20 to 30 minutes.
*The chicken stock can be replaced with apple juice for vegetarian stuffing.
Sour Cream Cornbread:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine ingredients and pour into two greased 8-inch square pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees until brown on top, about 45 minutes.
You Might Also Like
Whether you are trying to find something for dinner or breakfast; you'll find easy-to-follow recipes for a variety of dinner rolls to cinnamon buns.
Making quick breads are simple, especially if you follow our easy-to-use ingredients list and baking instructions.