Monte Cristo Sandwich
Makes 4 servings
|2||tablespoons honey mustard, divided|
|12||thin slices white or egg bread, divided|
|4||ounces sliced deli turkey breast|
|8||thin slices (4 ounces) Swiss cheese, divided|
|4||ounces smoked sliced deli ham, divided|
|1/16||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|2||to 3 tablespoons butter or margarine|
|Strawberry or raspberry preserves|
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- To assemble 3-decker sandwich, spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard over 1 side of each of 3 bread slices. Place 1/4 of turkey and 1 cheese slice over mustard on 1 bread slice. Top with second bread slice, mustard side up.
- Place 1/4 of ham and 1 cheese slice on top of bread. Top with remaining bread slice, mustard side down, pressing gently together. Repeat with remaining mustard, bread, turkey, cheese and ham to make 4 sandwiches.
- Combine eggs, milk and nutmeg in shallow dish or pie plate.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dip both sides of each sandwich briefly in egg mixture, letting excess drip back into dish.
- Fry 1 sandwich at a time in skillet 4 minutes or until browned, turning halfway through cooking. Transfer sandwiches to greased or foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, adding butter to skillet as needed.
- Bake sandwiches 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally; sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with preserves.
Check out more recipes for Sandwiches