Moroccan Spiced Chicken Bisteeyas the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1||pound boneless skinless chicken breasts|
|2||tablespoons (10 to 12 cloves) garlic, minced|
|2||teaspoons ground cumin|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/4||teaspoon turmeric (optional)|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth|
|1||cup cholesterol-free egg substitute|
|2||tablespoons powdered sugar|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|2||tablespoons lemon juice|
|1||teaspoon grated lemon peel|
|8||sheets phyllo dough|
|2||tablespoons margarine, melted|
- Spray medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until golden. Turn; cook 3 minutes. Remove chicken; set aside. Combine garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, pepper and turmeric in small bowl; set aside.
- Add onion to skillet; cook and stir 4 minutes or until crisp-tender and golden. Add spice mixture; stir 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken breasts and accumulated juices to skillet. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken; cool slightly. Simmer onion mixture, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes, until thick but not dry. Add egg substitute; cook, stirring gently, 2 to 3 minutes, until softly set. Remove from heat. Stir in powdered sugar and cilantro. Shred chicken into large bite-size pieces with fork. Combine chicken, lemon juice and lemon peel in medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Unroll phyllo dough. Cover with plastic wrap or damp kitchen towel to prevent dough from drying out.
- Lay 1 phyllo sheet on work surface. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon margarine; fold in half crosswise and set aside. Lay another sheet on work surface and brush with 1/2 teaspoon margarine. Lay folded sheets in center of work surface, long edges parallel. Place 1/4 chicken in center forming 4-inch circle. Mound 1/4 egg mixture on top of chicken.
- Lift 1 corner and fold over filling. Working around circle, fold dough over filling every 2 inches or so until filling is completely encased. Move phyllo packet to prepared baking sheet. Brush surface with margarine. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, margarine, chicken and egg mixture to make 4 bisteeyas. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden. To garnish, sift powdered sugar over tops of bisteeyas and sprinkle with cinnamon.
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Calories from Fat||30 %|
Check out more recipes for Middle Eastern