Makes 6 to 8 servings
|2-1/2||teaspoons salt, divided|
|2||large russet potatoes, peeled|
|1/2||cup olive oil, divided|
|1-1/2||pounds ground beef or lamb|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||cup chopped tomatoes|
|1/2||cup dry red or white wine|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh parsley|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided|
|4||tablespoons butter or margarine|
|1/3||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/4||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place in large colander; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Drain 30 minutes. Cut zucchini lengthwise into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add potatoes in single layer. Cook 5 minutes per side or until tender and lightly browned. Remove potatoes from skillet; drain on paper towels. Add more oil to skillet, if needed. Cook zucchini 2 minutes per side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. Add more oil to skillet. Cook eggplant 5 minutes per side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. Drain oil from skillet; discard.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat just until hot. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain fat. Stir in tomatoes, wine, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, cinnamon and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 13X9-inch baking dish. Arrange potatoes in bottom; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with zucchini and 1/4 cup cheese, then eggplant and 1/4 cup cheese. Spoon meat mixture over top.
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and nutmeg with wire whisk. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, until mixture boils and thickens, whisking constantly. Pour sauce evenly over meat mixture in dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for European