Norwegian Pepper Cookies (Pepperkaker)
YIELD Makes about 7 dozen cookies
|4||to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
|1||teaspoon ground cardamom|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1||teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1/2||cup butter, softened|
|2‑1/2||cups powdered sugar|
|3||tablespoons lemon juice|
|1||tablespoon grated lemon peel|
|1/2||teaspoon almond extract|
|1/2||cup diced candied citron, finely chopped|
|Lemon Glaze (recipe)|
- Place 4 cups flour, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, pepper and salt in medium bowl; stir to combine. Beat butter and half of powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down side of bowl once. Beat in eggs and remaining powdered sugar, scraping down side of bowl once.
- Gradually add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until well blended, scraping down side of bowl once. Beat in lemon juice, lemon peel and almond extract. Stir in citron and enough remaining flour until stiff dough forms.
- Shape tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls on large baking sheets or tray; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until firm and light golden brown. Remove cookies to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, prepare Lemon Glaze. While still warm, brush cookies with Lemon Glaze. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until set.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.
This recipe appears in: European