Out of This World
Makes 12 to 14 servings
|4-1/2||cups cake batter, divided|
|1||(10-inch) round cake board, covered, or large plate|
|1-3/4||cups prepared white frosting|
|Red decorating gel|
|Black licorice twists|
|8||to 10 large gumballs|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 9-inch round cake pan and 1-1/2-quart ovenproof bowl. Pour 2-3/4 cups cake batter into prepared cake pan; pour 1-3/4 cups cake batter into prepared bowl. Bake cake in pan 30 to 35 minutes and cake in bowl 45 to 55 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans. Loosen edges; invert onto wire racks and cool completely.
- Trim top of bowl cake and top and side of round cake. Place round cake on prepared cake board Spread small amount of frosting on center of round cake. Place bowl cake, flat side down, on top of round cake.
- Reserve 1/4 cup frosting; tint remaining 1-1/2 cups frosting blue-gray.
- Frost entire cake with blue-gray frosting. Frost top half of round cake with white frosting (over blue-gray frosting). Cover top of round cake with red decorating gel.
- Cut licorice twists into 1-1/2-inch pieces; arrange on side of bowl cake as shown in photo. Decorate UFO with gumballs and assorted candies as desired.
Check out more recipes for Cooking with Kids