PB & J Sandwich Cake
YIELD Makes 12 servings
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix|
|3/4||cup powdered sugar|
|5||tablespoons peanut butter|
|2||to 3 tablespoons whipping cream or milk|
|1||tablespoon butter, softened|
|1/2||cup strawberry or grape jam|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch square baking pans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 30 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Carefully slice off browned tops of both cakes to create flat, even layers. Place one layer on serving plate, cut side up.
- Beat powdered sugar, peanut butter, 2 tablespoons cream and butter with electric mixer at medium speed until light and creamy. Add remaining 1 tablespoon cream, if necessary, to reach spreading consistency. Gently spread filling over cut side of cake layer on serving plate. Spread jam over peanut butter filling. Top with second cake layer, cut side up.
- Cut cake in half diagonally to resemble sandwich. To serve, cut into thin slices across the diagonal using serrated knife.
This recipe appears in: Cooking with Kids