Penne with Roasted Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella
Cook/Bake Time 25 minutes
Prep Time 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
|1/4||teaspoon olive oil|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||cans (28 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|2-1/2||cups (8-1/2 ounces) uncooked penne pasta|
|1/2||pound reduced-fat smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices|
|1||cup (4 ounces) part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes, at room temperature|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh basil|
|1/2||to 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)|
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover; simmer 15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt; drain. Set aside; keep warm.
- Place half of tomatoes in blender or food processor container; blend just until coarsely chopped. Add tomato purée to pasta; toss to combine.
- Heat small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove sausage to skillet with remaining tomato mixture. Cover; simmer over medium heat 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add reserved pasta to skillet; toss to combine. Stir in cheese, basil and salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
This recipe makes about 3 cups of sauce. The tomato sauce would be good with any kind of pasta. You could also substitute fresh parsley for the basil.
|Serving Size:||1 cup|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Calories from Fat||13 %|
Check out more recipes for Pasta