Pink and White Posies Cake
Honor a special graduate, anniversary couple or retiree with this elegant cake.
Makes 12 to 16 servings
|1||recipe Creamy Decorator's Frosting|
|Pink or red and green paste food coloring|
|2||(8-inch) round cake layers|
|1||recipe Creamy White Frosting|
|1||recipe Base Frosting|
|2||pastry bags with couplers|
|Tips: Numbers 2, 5 or 6, 14, 18, 22, 48, 103, 106 or 225, and 352 or 67|
|Baking sheet or other flat surface|
|1||(10-inch) round cake board, covered or cake plate|
|1||(5-inch) paper circle pattern|
- Pipe at least 5 to 8 large roses (see page 00) with Creamy Decorator's Frosting, number 2 and 103 tips, rose nail and 2-inch waxed paper squares. (It is best to pipe more flowers than you need to allow for breakage.) Let roses dry at least 48 hours.
- Tint 1/2 cup Creamy Decorator's Frosting dark pink (see page 7). Pipe 24 to 30 drop flowers (see page 00) onto baking sheet covered with waxed paper using pink frosting and number 106 tip. Pipe 1 dot (see page 00) in center of each drop flower with white Creamy Decorator's Frosting and switching to number 2 tip. Let flowers dry at least 48 hours. (Cover and refrigerate remaining Creamy Decorator's Frosting.)
- To assemble cake, remove frosting from refrigerator. Let stand until of spreading consistency. Trim tops of cakes (see page 00). Place one cake layer on prepared cake board. Frost top with about 1/2 cup Creamy White Frosting. Place second cake on top. Frost top and sides with Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with remaining Creamy White Frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides (see page 00).
- Fold paper circle in half, then fold into thirds to get 6 even fold marks. Unfold. Place paper circle in center of cake top and trace around it with toothpick. Draw lines with toothpick from edge of pattern to edge of cake top at each fold line to make 6 sections. Carefully lift off pattern.
- Tint 1/3 cup reserved Creamy Decorator's Frosting green and reserve remaining frosting for white frosting.
- Pipe lattice (see page 00) with white frosting and number 48 tip, starting at outside edge of 1 section to opposite inside edge of same section. Continue piping lattice strips in same direction about 1/4 inch apart until section is covered with strips. Pipe lattice strips in opposite direction over other strips. Repeat with remaining 5 sections.
- Pipe small shells (see page 00) around inside edge of lattice and down each line separating sections with white frosting and switching to number 14 tip.
- Pipe 6 fleurs-de-lis (see page 00) on cake sides with white frosting and switching to number 22 tip, aligning each fleur-de-lis with each line of shells separating sections.
- For cluster of flowers on cake top, pipe 2-inch diameter mound of frosting in center of cake top with green frosting and number 5 tip.
- Pipe 1 star (see page 00) on back of each rose with white frosting and switching to number 14 tip. Carefully press roses into position on top of mound of green frosting as shown in photo.
- Pipe 1 star on back of each drop flower with white frosting and number 14 tip. Carefully press drop flowers into position to fill in between roses as shown in photo, reserving 12 drop flowers.
- Pipe leaves (see page 00) as desired around flowers with green frosting and switching to number 352 tip.
- Pipe bottom and top shell borders (see page 00) with white frosting and switching to number 22 tip for bottom border and number 18 tip for top border.
- Carefully press remaining drop flowers into position on borders at base of each fleur-de-lis and at each junction of lattice section.
- Pipe 1 leaf on each side of these drop flowers with green frosting and number 352 tip.
Check out more recipes for Cakes