Polish Fried Cookies (Chrusciki)
YIELD Makes 4 dozen cookies
|1||cup all-purpose flour|
|3||large egg yolks|
|3||tablespoons sour cream|
|1||tablespoon vodka or whiskey|
|2‑2/3||cups powdered sugar|
- Place flour and sugar in medium bowl; stir to combine. Make well in center of flour mixture; add egg yolks, sour cream and vodka. Stir with spoon until soft dough forms.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead gently until dough is smooth. Form dough into 2 discs; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes or overnight.
- Working with 1 disc at a time, unwrap dough and place on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to 1/8-inch-thick (12X10-inch) rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise in half; cut each half into 12 strips.
- Make 1-inch vertical slit down center of each strip. Insert one end of strip through cut to form twist; repeat with remaining strips.
- Heat oil in large saucepan to 375°F. Place 6 strips at a time into hot oil. Fry about 1 minute or until golden brown, turning cookies once with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- Place 1/3 cup powdered sugar in small brown paper bag. Add 6 warm cookies at a time; close bag and shake until cookies are coated with sugar. Repeat with additional sugar and remaining cookies. Cookies are best when served immediately, but can be stored in airtight container 1 day.
This recipe appears in: European
You Might Also Like