Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 8 hours
YIELD Makes 4 to 6 servings
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|2‑1/2||pounds boneless center cut pork loin roast|
|Salt and black pepper|
|1||medium onion, diced|
|2||large cloves garlic, minced|
|2||teaspoons dried thyme|
|2||parsnips, cut in 3/4-inch slices|
|2||cups chicken stock, divided|
|1/4||cup red wine vinegar|
|1/2||cup port or sherry wine|
|3||pears, cored and sliced 3/4 inch thick|
|1‑1/2||cups pitted prunes|
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season pork roast with salt and pepper; brown roast on all sides in saucepan. Place roast in slow cooker.
- Add onion and garlic to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in thyme. Add onion mixture and parsnips to slow cooker.
- Combine 1/4 cup of chicken stock with the cornstarch in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in same saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens into syrup. Add port and cook 1 minute more. Add remaining 1-3/4 cups chicken stock. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and cook until smooth and slightly thickened. Pour into slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on LOW 8 hours or on HIGH 4 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add pears and prunes. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes or with French bread, if desired.
If you're looking for a great main dish, try this recipe for roast pork shoulder with apricot BBQ sauce from Inedible to Incredible.
Our Pan-Fried Shrimp Marinated in Lime, Tomatillo and Cilantro recipe will blow your mind! Make your own Pan-Fried Shrimp Marinated in Lime, Tomatillo and Cilantro.