YIELD Makes about 3 dozen
|2||cups all-purpose flour|
|3/4||cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water|
|1/2||cup very finely chopped napa cabbage|
|8||ounces lean ground pork|
|2||tablespoons finely chopped water chestnuts|
|1||green onion with top, finely chopped|
|1‑1/2||teaspoons soy sauce|
|1‑1/2||teaspoons dry sherry|
|1/2||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|1/2||teaspoon dark sesame oil|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|2/3||cup chicken broth, divided|
|Soy sauce, vinegar and chili oil|
- Place flour in large bowl; make well in center. Pour in boiling water; stir with wooden spoon until mixture forms dough.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes. Cover dough; let rest 30 minutes.
- For filling, squeeze cabbage to remove as much moisture as possible; place in large bowl. Add pork, water chestnuts, onion, cornstarch, soy sauce, sherry, ginger, sesame oil and sugar; mix well.
- Divide dough into two equal portions; cover one portion with plastic wrap or clean towel while working with other portion. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out 3-inch circles with round cookie cutter or top of clean empty can.
- Place 1 rounded teaspoon filling in center of each dough circle.
- To shape each pot sticker, lightly moisten edges of one dough circle with water; fold in half.
- Starting at one end, pinch curled edges together making four pleats along edge; set dumpling down firmly, seam side up. Cover finished dumplings while shaping remaining dumplings. (Cook dumplings immediately, refrigerate for up to 4 hours or freeze in resealable bag.)
- To cook dumplings, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 1/2 of pot stickers in skillet, seam side up. (If cooking frozen dumplings, do not thaw.) Cook until bottoms are golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in 1/3 cup chicken broth; cover tightly. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes (15 minutes if frozen). Repeat with remaining vegetable oil, dumplings and chicken broth.
- Place pot stickers, browned side up, on serving platter. Serve with soy sauce, vinegar and chili oil for dipping.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.
Learn how to cook authentic Asian cuisine with our recipes from all of the major regions in Asia, including Korea, Japan and Malaysia.