Potato Latkes with Cinnamon Applesauce
Whether served on a platter or as individual servings, this savory side dish adds just the right touch to your holiday meal.
Makes 6 servings
|4||medium red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled|
|2||teaspoons lemon juice|
|1||small onion, finely chopped|
|2||eggs, lightly beaten|
|3||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|Vegetable oil, for frying|
|Pastry bag and medium writing tip|
- Prepare Cinnamon Applesauce; set aside.
- Shred potatoes into large bowl. Add lemon juice; toss to coat. Drain off excess liquid.
- Add onion, eggs, flour, salt and pepper to potatoes; mix well.
- Heat about 1/4 inch oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon about 2 tablespoons potato mixture into oil; spread mixture slightly to make a 3-1/2-inch round. Repeat to form 3 or 4 latkes. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- For individual servings, spoon about 3 tablespoons Cinnamon Applesauce onto small plates; top with 2 latkes. Spoon sour cream into pastry bag fitted with writing tip and pipe onto latkes as shown in photo.
Check out more recipes for Jewish