Potatoes and Leeks au Gratin
Makes 6 to 8 servings
|5||tablespoons butter, divided|
|2||large leeks, sliced|
|2||tablespoons minced garlic|
|2||pounds baking potatoes, peeled (about 4 medium)|
|1||cup whipping cream|
|1/4||teaspoon white pepper|
|2||to 3 slices dense day-old white bread, such as French or Italian|
|2||ounces grated Parmesan cheese|
|Fresh herbs for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously butter shallow oval 10-cup baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic. Cook and stir 8 to 10 minutes or until leeks are softened. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Cut potatoes crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices. Layer half of potato slices in prepared baking dish. Top with half of leek mixture. Repeat layers with remaining potato slices and leek mixture. Whisk cream, milk, eggs, salt and white pepper in medium bowl until well blended; pour evenly over leek mixture.
- To prepare bread crumbs, tear bread slices into 1-inch pieces and place in food processor or blender; process until fine crumbs form. Measure 3/4 cup crumbs; place in small bowl. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add to crumb mixture; stir. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over vegetables in baking dish.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until top is golden and potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Vegetable Side Dish