Makes 8 servings
|4-1/2||teaspoons olive oil|
|1||small onion, chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|8||ounces thin asparagus, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips|
|1||cup frozen peas, thawed|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese|
|3/4||cup grated Asiago cheese|
|1/3||cup chopped fresh basil|
|1||egg, lightly beaten|
|10||frozen phyllo dough sheets, thawed|
|1/2||cup butter, melted|
|6||tablespoons dry bread crumbs, divided|
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add asparagus and bell pepper; cook and stir 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in peas, salt and black pepper. Remove from heat; let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine ricotta, Asiago, basil and egg in large bowl; mix well. Stir in vegetable mixture.
- Line 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; set aside.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo on work surface. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and damp towel to keep from drying out.) Lightly brush phyllo with butter. Top with second phyllo sheet. Lightly brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon bread crumbs. Place third phyllo sheet over crumbs; lightly brush with butter; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon bread crumbs. Top with fourth phyllo sheet and 1 tablespoon bread crumbs. Place fifth phyllo sheet over bread crumbs and brush with butter.
- Spoon 1/2 of ricotta mixture along 1 short side of phyllo in 3-inch-wide strip, beginning 1-1/2 inches in from short side and leaving 2-inch border on long sides. Fold long sides in over filling; lightly brush folded edges with butter. Starting at filled side, gently roll up, jelly-roll style, forming strudel. Lightly brush strudel with butter. Transfer to prepared pan, seam side down.
- Repeat process with remaining ingredients to make second strudel. Bake strudels 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Check out more recipes for European