YIELD Makes 1 puzzle cookie
|1/2||cup packed light brown sugar|
|6||tablespoons dark molasses|
|2‑1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|3/4||teaspoon baking soda|
|3/4||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/4||teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder|
|Assorted colored frostings, colored sugars, colored decorating gels and assorted small candies|
- Beat shortening, brown sugar, molasses, egg whites and vanilla in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until smooth.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and baking powder in medium bowl. Add to shortening mixture; mix well. Shape dough into flat rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 8 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 15-1/2X10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Sprinkle dough with additional flour. Place dough in center of prepared pan and roll evenly to within 1/2 inch of edge of pan. Cut shapes into dough using cookie cutters or free-hand, using sharp knife, allowing at least 1 inch between each shape. Cut through dough, but do not remove shapes.
- Bake 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown lightly. Remove from oven and retrace shapes with knife. Return to oven 5 to 6 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Carefully remove shapes to wire racks; cool completely.
- Decorate shapes with frostings, sugars, decorating gels and small candies as shown in photo. Leave puzzle frame in pan. Decorate with frostings, colored sugars and gels to represent sky, clouds, grass and water, if desired. Return shapes to their respective openings to complete puzzle.
You Might Also Like
Learn to make butter & sugar cookies with our quick and easy recipes. Butter & sugar cookies make a wonderful dessert or snack.
Making friends and influencing people can usually be best achieved by sharing a batch of fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate cookies. Try it and you'll see.