Dana Herbert created this Raspberry Cake recipe in the first season of TLC's 'Ultimate Cake Off'.
|2||cups self-rising flour|
|1 1/4||cups white sugar|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|1||Tbsp raspberry extract|
|1/2||oz red color|
|1||Tbsp lemon extract|
|1/2||oz yellow color|
|1||tsp white vinegar|
|48||ounces egg whites|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan, or two 9-inch round pans.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs. Add the flour, milk, vanilla, raspberry extract and red color and beat to a soft smooth batter.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Repeat steps again but this time use lemon extract and yellow color for the lemon cake.
- Assemble by slicing tiers and assembling using alternating tiers of cake (lemon and raspberry) and filling with a thin layer of butter cream to create a striped look.
- Ice entire cake.
- Place water, sugar and vinegar in a pot together and boil until it comes to 260 degrees.
- Meanwhile, as the sugar is cooking, whip egg whites to a stiff peak on high speed. Once stiff peak has been reached, reduce mixer speed to 2 (medium speed).
- Add hot sugar to the meringue and whip on speed 2 until cool.
- Once cool add the butter in increments of a few at a time.
- Whip on high speed once all the butter is in the bowl, approximately 3-4 minutes.
Check out more recipes for Cakes