Makes 4 side-dish servings
|4||kohlrabies (about 2-1/2 inches in diameter)|
|2||tablespoons butter or margarine|
|1/4||cup chopped onion|
|1/4||teaspoon each dry mustard and caraway seeds|
|2||slices pumpernickel bread, crumbled to make 1 cup crumbs|
|1/4||cup chopped corned beef|
|1/4||cup shredded Swiss cheese|
|Green onion tops|
|Raspberry leaves for garnish|
- Reserve 1 leaf from kohlrabi and finely chop; set aside. Cut off slice from bottom of each kohlrabi and cut off stems; discard. Peel kohlrabies vertically from top to bottom. To hollow out kohlrabies, scoop out pulp with melon baller, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells; reserve pulp.
- Put enough water in large saucepan to cover kohlrabies. Bring to a boil over high heat; add kohlrabi shells. Boil about 15 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove shells with slotted spoon; drain upside down on paper towels.
- Chop reserved kohlrabi pulp. Heat butter in small skillet over medium-high heat until melted and bubbly. Add chopped kohlrabi, onion, mustard and caraway seeds to skillet; cook and stir until onion is soft. Stir in bread crumbs and corned beef. Remove from heat; stir in reserved kohlrabi leaf, mayonnaise and cheese.
- Fill hollowed kohlrabies with crumb mixture. Spread remaining mixture in buttered round baking dish. Set kohlrabies in dish.*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes until heated through and fork-tender. Meanwhile, blanch green onion tops in boiling water 1 minute. Remove with tongs; set aside. Tie one green onion piece around each kohlrabi. Serve immediately with additional filling. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Beef