Makes 2 loaves
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1-3/4||cups warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|3||cups rye flour, divided|
|2||to 3 cups bread flour, divided|
|2||tablespoons caraway seeds|
|2||tablespoons white vinegar|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|Additional caraway seeds (optional)|
- To proof yeast, sprinkle yeast and sugar over 1-3/4 cups warm water in large bowl; stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Gradually beat 2 cups rye flour and 1 cup bread flour into yeast mixture with electric mixer at low speed. Add molasses, caraway seeds, vinegar, oil and salt; beat 1 minute. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low. Beat in 1 egg and remaining 1 cup rye flour. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional bread flour, about 1 cup, with wooden spoon to make soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. Knead dough 10 to 15 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1 cup bread flour to prevent sticking if necessary. Shape dough into a ball; place in large greased bowl. Turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover with clean kitchen towel; let rise in warm place about 1-1/4 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 1 minute. Cut dough in half. Cover with towel; let rest 10 minutes. Grease large baking sheet. Shape each half into oval loaf about 9 inches long. Place loaves 6 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water in small cup. Make 3 (1/2-inch-deep) diagonal slashes with tip of sharp knife across top of each loaf. Brush loaves with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with additional caraway seeds, if desired.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves are browned and sound hollow when tapped. Immediately remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire racks.
Check out more recipes for Basic Dough