YIELD Makes 2 loaves
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1‑3/4||cups warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|3||cups rye flour, divided|
|2||to 3 cups bread flour, divided|
|2||tablespoons caraway seeds|
|2||tablespoons white vinegar|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|Additional caraway seeds (optional)|
- To proof yeast, sprinkle yeast and sugar over 1-3/4 cups warm water in large bowl; stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Gradually beat 2 cups rye flour and 1 cup bread flour into yeast mixture with electric mixer at low speed. Add molasses, caraway seeds, vinegar, oil and salt; beat 1 minute. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low. Beat in 1 egg and remaining 1 cup rye flour. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Stir in enough additional bread flour, about 1 cup, with wooden spoon to make soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. Knead dough 10 to 15 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1 cup bread flour to prevent sticking if necessary. Shape dough into a ball; place in large greased bowl. Turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover with clean kitchen towel; let rise in warm place about 1-1/4 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 1 minute. Cut dough in half. Cover with towel; let rest 10 minutes. Grease large baking sheet. Shape each half into oval loaf about 9 inches long. Place loaves 6 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine egg white and 1 tablespoon water in small cup. Make 3 (1/2-inch-deep) diagonal slashes with tip of sharp knife across top of each loaf. Brush loaves with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with additional caraway seeds, if desired.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves are browned and sound hollow when tapped. Immediately remove from baking sheet; cool completely on wire racks.
The bread machine is a great invention because it gives the everyday gourmet the tools to make great breads and pastries. Learn how to use your bread machine with our collection of recipes.
Whether you are trying to find something for dinner or breakfast; you'll find easy-to-follow recipes for a variety of dinner rolls to cinnamon buns.