Makes 32 appetizers
|2-1/4||cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2/3||cup boiling water|
|1/4||to 1/2 cup cold water|
|2||teaspoons sesame oil|
|1||teaspoon coarse salt|
|1/2||cup finely chopped green onion tops|
|1/2||to 3/4 cup vegetable oil|
- Combine 2 cups flour and sugar in large bowl. Stir in boiling water and mix with chopsticks or fork just until water is absorbed and mixture forms large clumps. Gradually stir in enough cold water so dough forms a ball and is no longer sticky.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. Knead dough 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Wrap dough with plastic wrap; let stand 1 hour.
- Unwrap dough and knead briefly on lightly floured surface; divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll 1 dough piece into 6- to 7-inch round, keeping remaining dough pieces wrapped in plastic wrap to prevent drying. Brush dough with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil; evenly sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons green onions. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, into tight cylinder.
- Coil cylinder into a spiral and pinch end under into dough. Repeat with remaining dough pieces, sesame oil, salt and green onions. Cover coiled pieces with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes.
- Roll each coiled piece on lightly floured surface into 6- to 7-inch round with floured rolling pin.
- Heat 1/2 cup vegetable oil in wok over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Carefully place 1 pancake into hot oil. Fry 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. While pancake is frying, press center lightly with metal spatula to ensure even cooking. Remove to paper towels; drain. Repeat with remaining pancakes, adding more oil if necessary and reheating oil between batches.
- Cut each pancake into 8 wedges. Arrange on serving platter. Serve immediately.
Check out more recipes for Chinese