YIELD Makes 4 servings
|2||medium carrots, cut into julienne strips|
|2||medium parsnips, cut into julienne strips|
|8||small green beans, halved lengthwise|
|4||thin slices beef top round steak, each cut in half lengthwise|
|4||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) beef broth, divided|
|1||piece fresh ginger (about 1-1/2 inches long), peeled and cut into 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices|
|1/4||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|1||tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|1||teaspoon sesame oil|
|1||small ripe tomato, cut into wedges|
|Lettuce leaves, such as Japanese mizuna|
- Place 1/8 of carrots, 1/8 of parsnips and 2 green bean halves on each piece of beef along one short end. Starting with short end, roll up beef, jelly-roll fashion, to enclose vegetables; secure with short bamboo or metal skewers.
- Heat wok over high heat 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle 2 tablespoons vegetable oil into wok.
- Add 4 beef rolls. Cook rolls 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer to bowl; set aside. Reheat wok and repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 4 beef rolls.
- Return all rolls to wok. Add 1 cup broth, ginger and red pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer rolls 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender, turning rolls to cook evenly. Add more broth if it evaporates. Transfer cooked rolls to cutting board; set aside.
- Pour cooking liquid from wok into glass measuring cup. Discard ginger. Add enough broth or water to make 2/3 cup liquid; return to wok and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, combine rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil in small bowl; mix well and add to wok. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens. Pour sauce into small bowl.
- Remove skewers from beef rolls. Cut rolls in half diagonally. Arrange on lettuce-lined platter. Garnish with tomato wedges. Serve with kimchee, if desired.
Don't you dare go to fast-food taco restaurants when you can learn to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from your own kitchen.
Learn how to properly prepare Italian cuisine by following our easy-to-understand recipes that walk you step-by-step through the process.