YIELD Makes 4 servings
|2||medium carrots, cut into julienne strips|
|2||medium parsnips, cut into julienne strips|
|8||small green beans, halved lengthwise|
|4||thin slices beef top round steak, each cut in half lengthwise|
|4||tablespoons vegetable oil, divided|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) beef broth, divided|
|1||piece fresh ginger (about 1-1/2 inches long), peeled and cut into 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices|
|1/4||teaspoon ground red pepper|
|1||tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|1||teaspoon sesame oil|
|1||small ripe tomato, cut into wedges|
|Lettuce leaves, such as Japanese mizuna|
- Place 1/8 of carrots, 1/8 of parsnips and 2 green bean halves on each piece of beef along one short end. Starting with short end, roll up beef, jelly-roll fashion, to enclose vegetables; secure with short bamboo or metal skewers.
- Heat wok over high heat 1 minute or until hot. Drizzle 2 tablespoons vegetable oil into wok.
- Add 4 beef rolls. Cook rolls 2-1/2 to 3 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning occasionally. Transfer to bowl; set aside. Reheat wok and repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 4 beef rolls.
- Return all rolls to wok. Add 1 cup broth, ginger and red pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer rolls 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender, turning rolls to cook evenly. Add more broth if it evaporates. Transfer cooked rolls to cutting board; set aside.
- Pour cooking liquid from wok into glass measuring cup. Discard ginger. Add enough broth or water to make 2/3 cup liquid; return to wok and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, combine rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and sesame oil in small bowl; mix well and add to wok. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens. Pour sauce into small bowl.
- Remove skewers from beef rolls. Cut rolls in half diagonally. Arrange on lettuce-lined platter. Garnish with tomato wedges. Serve with kimchee, if desired.
Contrary to popular belief, Southern cuisine does not have to involve frying everything (but it helps in many cases). Learn the secrets of country cooking with our Southern recipes. Y'all enjoy.
Don't you dare go to fast-food taco restaurants when you can learn to cook authentic Mexican cuisine from your own kitchen.