Shamrock Ice Cream Sandwiches
For variety, stir chopped cookies, candies or nuts into the softened ice cream before spreading onto cookies.
Makes 6 to 8 ice cream sandwich cookies
|Butter Cookie Dough|
|Green food coloring|
|1||pint (2 cups) ice cream or frozen yogurt, any flavor|
- Prepare cookie dough; tint to desired shade with food coloring. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough using 3-1/2- to 5-inch shamrock-shaped cookie cutter. Gather and reroll scraps to make 12 to 16 cutouts. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned around edges. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- Remove ice cream from freezer; let stand at room temperature 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Spread 4 to 5 tablespoons ice cream onto flat sides of half the cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat sides down, on ice cream; press cookies together lightly.
- Wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil or plastic wrap; freeze until firm, about 2 hours or overnight.
Filled cookies store well up to 1 week in the freezer.
Valentine Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prepare, tint and chill cookie dough as directed, substituting red food coloring for green food coloring. Cut out cookies with heart-shaped cookie cutter. Continue as directed.
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prepare and chill cookie dough as directed. Divide dough in half. Tine 1/2 of dough with red food coloring and 1/2 of dough with blue food coloring. Cut dough with star-shaped cookie cutter. Continue as directed.
Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prepare, tint and chill cookie dough as directed, substituting orange food coloring for green food coloring. Cut dough with pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter. Continue as directed.
Christmas Tree Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prepare, tint and chill cookie dough as directed. Cut dough with Christmas tree-shaped cookie cutter. Continue as directed.
Check out more recipes for Spring