Sherry-Poached Peaches with Gingered Fruit and Custard Sauce
Makes 4 servings
|4||large ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and halved or 2 cans (16 ounces each) peach halves packed in juice, drained|
|1/3||cup dry sherry|
|1||cup assorted chopped mixed dried or fresh fruit (such as apples, golden raisins, prunes, peaches, apricots, pineapple, raisins and cranberries)|
|1/2||teaspoon fresh minced ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/2||teaspoon grated orange peel|
|1/4||cup all-fruit apricot preserves|
|1||cup fat-free (skim) milk|
|3||packages artificial sweetener or equivalent of 2 tablespoons of sugar|
*1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract can be substituted for vanilla bean. Stir into cooked custard before serving.
- Combine peaches and sherry in medium saucepan. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 8 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until peaches are tender. (Cooking time will vary based on ripeness of fruit.) Remove peaches from sherry; cool to room temperature.
- Combine dried fruit, water, ginger and orange peel in medium microwavable bowl. Cover; microwave on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes or until fruit is soft. Stir in preserves; cool to room temperature.
- Pour milk into small saucepan. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise; scrape seeds into saucepan. Add bean halves to saucepan. Heat over medium heat just until milk begins to boil; remove from heat. Remove bean halves from milk; discard.
- Combine egg yolk, artificial sweetener and cornstarch in medium bowl. Beat mixture with wire whisk until thick and lemon colored. Continue whisking mixture while very slowly pouring in hot milk mixture.
- Slowly pour egg mixture back into saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and coats metal spoon. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Divide peach halves and fruit mixture among 4 plates. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons of custard sauce.
|Saturated Fat||trace g|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Calories from Fat||5 %|
Check out more recipes for Custards & Puddings