|Cakes & Frostings|
|2||(8-inch) square cakes|
|2||recipes Buttercream Frosting* (recipe)|
|2||recipes Base Frosting (recipe)|
|1||recipe Creamy Decorator's Frosting (recipe)|
|Green paste food coloring|
|Decorations & Equipment|
|1||(19X15-inch) cake board, preferably 1/2-inch-thick plywood|
|Silver foil wrapping paper|
|2||yards silver braid|
|2||(8-inch) corrugated cardboard squares|
|6||to 8 (1/4-inch-thick) wood dowels|
|2||pastry bags with couplers|
|Tips: Numbers 2, 3, 18, 32, 103, and 352 or 67|
|White edible glitter (optional)|
|1/4||yard silver metallic fabric|
|1||(about 3X5-inch) wedding photo in silver frame|
- Cover cake board with silver foil wrapping paper, taping paper securely in place. Decorate corners of board with 4 feet of silver braid as shown in photo, securing with tape.
- To assemble cake, several hours or the day before serving, trim tops and sides of each cake. Place one 13X9-inch cake on prepared cake board. Frost with about 1 cup Buttercream Frosting. Place second 13X9-inch cake on top. Frost top and sides with Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with Buttercream Frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides.
- Stack cardboard squares and tape together to secure. Cover board with foil wrapping paper, taping paper securely in place. Place one 8-inch cake layer on prepared cardboard squares. Frost top with about 1/2 cup Buttercream Frosting. Place second 8-inch cake on top. Frost top and sides with remaining Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with remaining Buttercream Frosting. Smooth frosting on top and sides.
- Assemble the 2 tiers with dowels for support, using pruning shears to trim dowels.
- Tint 1/4 cup Creamy Decorator's Frosting green and reserve remaining for white frosting. Pipe 2 ruffles on each side of top tier, 3 ruffles on each long side of bottom tier, and 2 ruffles on each short side of bottom tier with white frosting and number 103 tip.
- Pipe lilies of the valley on cake sides under each place where 2 ruffles meet with green frosting, white frosting and number 2, 3, and 352 tips.
- Pipe reverse shell border around bottom of bottom tier with white frosting and number 32 tip. Pipe reverse shell border around bottom of top tier with white frosting and number 18 tip.
- For frosting lace, pipe long squiggly lines in random pattern on cake top of bottom tier with white frosting and number 2 tip, piping right up to edges of bottom border of top tier. (Do not let lines touch and keep lines flowing smoothly.)
- On top and bottom tiers, pipe lace to fill in ruffles on sides with same frosting and tip.
- Sprinkle frosting lace with white glitter, if desired.
- For cake top ornament, cut 3 (7-inch) squares of silver fabric with pinking shears. Tie remaining 2-foot length of braid into large bow. (Because ornament is not secured to cake, place cake in position for serving before putting ornament on cake.) Drape squares of fabric on top tier. Carefully place photo on fabric, draping fabric around photo. Place bow at bottom of photo.
Halloween can be a scary time, but you don't have to be scared in the kitchen because our recipes will be right there to comfort you.
We all have special occasions that we want to savor and celebrate. Learn how the perfect dish can be the perfect topping to the perfect day.