Sizzling Rice Cakes with Mushrooms and Bell Peppers
YIELD Makes 4 to 6 servings
|3/4||cup short-grain rice*|
|1‑3/4||cups water, divided|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) chicken broth|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons red wine vinegar|
|3||tablespoons peanut oil, divided|
|1‑1/2||teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger|
|2||cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into short strips|
|1||green bell pepper, cut into short strips|
|8||ounces button mushrooms, quartered|
|4||ounces fresh shiitake or other exotic mushrooms, sliced|
|1||teaspoon sesame oil|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
- Place rice in colander; rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch. Combine rice and 1-1/2 cups water in medium saucepan.
- Bring rice and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and red wine vinegar in medium bowl. Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup water in small cup; mix well. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add red and green pepper strips; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil to wok. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Add chicken broth mixture to wok and bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to wok. Cook until sauce boils and thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Stir in sesame oil. Return vegetables to wok; cover to keep warm.
- Shape rice into 12 (2-inch) cakes. (Wet hands to make handling rice easier.)
- Heat 2 to 3 inches vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Add 4 rice cakes; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until puffed and golden, turning occasionally. Remove with slotted spatula to paper towels. Repeat with remaining rice cakes, reheating oil between batches.
- Place rice cakes in serving bowl. Stir vegetable mixture; immediately pour over rice cakes.
This recipe appears in: Asian
You Might Also Like