Makes 10 to 12 servings
|1||(9-inch) round cake|
|1||(10-inch) round cake board, covered, or large plate|
|1-3/4||cups prepared white frosting|
|3||to 4 black licorice twists|
|Small clean sponge|
- Trim top and side of cake. Place on prepared cake board.
- Reserve 1/4 cup frosting. Tint 1-1/4 cup frosting deep orange (rust) and remaining 1/4 cup frosting black.
- Frost entire cake with orange frosting.
- Place licorice twists end to end around edge of cake to create rim of basketball hoop, trimming licorice as needed. Chill cake 15 minutes to set.
- Press very slightly dampened clean sponge against top and side of cake to create dimpled surface resembling texture of basketball.
- Using medium writing tip and black frosting, pipe line design on top of cake. Pipe net design on side of cake with reserved white frosting as shown in photo.
Check out more recipes for Cooking with Kids