Smoky Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Makes 6 servings
|2||large onions, cut into thin slices|
|1||beef brisket (about 3 pounds), trimmed|
|3/4||cup beer (not dark)|
|1/2||cup packed light brown sugar|
|1||tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce|
|1||tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons soy sauce|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||whole canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped*|
|1||teaspoon adobo sauce from can**|
|6||hoagie or kaiser rolls, split and toasted|
*Canned chipotle peppers can be found in the Mexican section of most supermarkets or gourmet food stores.
**For spicier flavor, add 1 to 2 teaspoons additional sauce.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Separate onion slices into rings. Place in bottom of large roasting pan.
- Place brisket, fat side up, over onions; sprinkle with salt. Combine remaining ingredients except rolls in small bowl; pour over brisket.
- Cover with heavy-duty foil or roasting pan lid. Roast in oven 3 to 3-1/2 hours until brisket is fork-tender.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board, leaving sauce in pan; tent brisket with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Brisket and sauce may be prepared ahead to this point; cool and cover separately. Refrigerate up to 1 day before reheating and serving.)
- Skim fat from pan juices with large spoon; discard fat. Transfer juices to large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Trim fat from brisket; carve brisket across the grain into thin slices. Return slices to sauce; cook until heated through, coating slices with sauce. Serve slices and sauce in rolls.
Check out more recipes for Southern