South American Chicken and Quinoa
Makes 4 servings
|1||teaspoon ground turmeric|
|1||teaspoon dried thyme|
|3/4||teaspoon salt, divided|
|1||pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|2||tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1||large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||cup uncooked quinoa|
|1||cup chicken broth|
|1||cup unsweetened coconut milk|
|1||teaspoon curry powder|
|1/4||teaspoon ground ginger|
- Prepare Tomato-Apricot Chutney; set aside.
- Combine turmeric, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt in shallow dish. Dip 1 chicken piece at a time into spice mixture, coating all sides; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add chicken pieces. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned and no longer pink.
- Rinse quinoa in small strainer under cold running water; drain well.
- Combine quinoa, chicken broth, coconut milk, curry, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and ginger in heavy, large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and pepper mixture; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve with Tomato-Apricot Chutney. Garnish with red chili pepper, if desired.
|Serving Size:||1/4 of total recipe|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Calories from Fat||34 %|
Check out more recipes for Latin American